I absolutely love hummingbird cake. The banana, pineapple, cinnamon, walnuts…this is a delectable treat! I first fell in love after a visit to my favorite donut shop, Do-rite Donuts. Don’t let the inconspicuous location fool you…if you ask me, they have some of the best donuts in Chicago. And for us vegan folk, they have one vegan option every single day. Can’t beat that!
**always check the top left, the vegan option is there!
So, after my exposure to their mouthwatering, tasty, vegan hummingbird donut, the search was on! I wanted more! Had to take a crack at this recipe. So, I google’d “hummingbird cake” and found a few vegan cake options. Score! After a little bit of tweaking, I think that I’ve mastered this dessert. Thanks Do-rite! Hope that you enjoy!
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 3 cups coconut flour (all-purpose flour is an option too)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 flax “eggs” (3 Tablespoons flaxseed meal + 9 Tablespoons warm water)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (canola oil is an option)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 – 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, do not drain
- 4 bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two – 9 x 2 inch round cake pans.
- Chop walnuts finely (as desired)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal and water and set aside for 3-5 minutes
- In another large bowl, mash bananas. Mix in the flax “eggs”, oil, vanilla extract, pineapple and chopped walnuts
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until combined
- Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
2 Tbsp. “butter”, room temperature
8 ounces Tofutti cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cups confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In the bowl, beat the “butter” and cream cheese, on low speed, until very smooth with no lumps. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until smooth. Add the vanilla extract.
Place one cake, top side down, onto your platter. Spread with about a third of the frosting. Gently place the other cake layer, top of cake facing up, onto the frosting, and spread the rest of the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate cake for a hour for frosting to set.
courtesy of and adapted by — www.singerskitchen.com